History of Emmanuel Lutheran Church
Emmanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church is a congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. It was organized on February 16, 1908, as Women’s Memorial Lutheran Church, because the Women’s Missionary Society was supplying the money! The name was changed to Emmanuel—God with us—when the church became self-supporting twenty years later. In 98 years, 11 pastors have served, with associates, interims, vicars and supply pastors helping out. Nine young people have gone into the ordained ministry from their membership at Emmanuel. In 1982, Emmanuel Lutheran Church moved from its location on North Main Street to its present setting on the western edge of High Point. The congregation currently numbers 480 members. Emmanuel continues its century-long tradition of being active in prayer, Bible study, community programs and world missions as it grows in numbers.